Professor Verbaeten of the Computer Science department of the Catholic University of Leuven started registering domain names in Belgium in 1989.
At his request, the responsibility for the registration of the domain names for .be was transferred to DNS Belgium, a non-profit association, established for this purpose on 2 February 1999.
To allow more flexibility, a complete liberalization took place, where everyone could register any name they liked.
As a result, the number of domain names doubled (89,718) and 3 months later 125,000 were registered.
• A .BE domain will create a unique web identity for your business
• Anyone can register any .BE name
• All .BE domain names can be traded freely
• .BE enables you to protect your business online
• Your web address with a .BE is easily memorable for local community and helps you reach and communicate with the right audience in Belgium and globally
As from 1 September 2006 the registrar fee of a .be domain name is 5 €. This reduction applies to all new registrations, renewals, transfers and "trades".